- TJ Wrestlers practice Mondays-Fridays after school until 5:30 pm in the cafeteria or at John Ehret.
- Practice begins October 2nd and matches begin November 1st with the State Wrestling Tournament February 16th & 17th .
- Dual meets (TJ vs. another team) are usually on Wednesday nights and tournaments are on Saturdays (from morning to evening) and sometimes Friday nights.
- All students that try out make the wrestling team. Our only requirement is to make it to “ALL” practices.
- Athletes that participate in other sports are welcomed. Football players, swimmers and cross country runners may come out after their season is over.
- The costs are minimal. Every student must have a physical by a licensed physician (The cost is determined by your medical insurance.), wrestling shoes (prices range from $40-$140), and a body composition test ($10).
- The wrestling team is a self-sufficient organization. We receive no money from the Jefferson Parish School Board or Thomas Jefferson High School. Our budget comes from a variety of fundraisers.
- We pay the wrestler’s expenses for the following as long as we raise the money: officials, tournament entry fees, equipment (headgear, uniform & warm-up), and traveling costs. The average amount spent is $450 per wrestler.
- No prior experience in wrestling is necessary. We start students off from the very basic fundamentals of wrestling and work on more advanced techniques as they learn.
- High school wrestling has 14 weight classes and wrestlers must weigh in before every meet to determine which weight class they will wrestle. The weights are: 106 lb., 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, and 285.
- No weight cutting is required nor encouraged. All wrestlers take a body composition test to determine an optimal performance weight. No wrestler is allowed to either drop below 7% body fat nor lose more than 1.5% of body weight per week.
- We stress the importance of good nutrition, adequate rest and hard work to maintain a healthy weight for wrestlers.
- The rules of wrestling help make it one of the safest sports. There are many illegal holds to prevent injuries.
- The referee also has the right to stop a match to prevent injury due to a potentially dangerous hold.
- The paperwork needed to participate are: Copy of Birth Certificate, Athletic Participation/Parental Permission form, Medical History/Exam form, Substance Abuse/Misuse form, Copy of Medical Card (front & back).
Contact Coach Dean Tessitore for more information.
Marrero Academy Physical Education Teacher
Thomas Jefferson High School Head Wrestling Coach